Sunday, September 14, 2008

Weekend in Review

Friday night I went to a thing our church hosted called "Celebrating Worship Together". We had worship ministries from six area churches join together and it was AWESOME. There were only about 200 or 250 people there, but I think if people had more of a taste of what the event was going to be like, we could've filled our 1500-seat worship center!

Saturday morning, we went garage saling. It's kind of a new Saturday tradition of ours, and I think it stems from an embarrassing tendency to watch "Antiques Roadshow" on PBS. We go to estate sales and sort through mostly junk to uncover that one find that will make us thousands of dollars. OK, maybe not. But it's fun to be nosy, see other people's stuff and try to find something unique. The one we went to Saturday morning was only about a half mile from us and the house was that of a deceased former minister and his wife. We had no interest in 98% of what they had, except for this one really cool carving. Apparently the couple had taken a trip to the Holy Land and brought back a 26" x 8" carving of the Last Supper, made out of olive wood. It was just a really cool piece. We offered $75 less than what they were asking and they readily accepted (should've asked for less!), so now we have a giant carving sitting in our dining room. After doing a little research online, I learned that similar, but smaller, carvings of the Last Supper are going for $750! We paid NOWHERE near this amount. I would prefer to sell it and have the money, but now Jonathan has formed a strong emotional attachment to it and refuses to let it go. *Sigh*



Saturday evening we made a trip to Jacksonville to get together with family. It's always an interesting time when Great Aunt Maurine and Sug are involved. I got a new outfit (and a half), which is nice because I haven't quite lost enough weight to fit into my regular fall stuff. It's always a plus to have clothes that fit.

Sunday morning I took part in another new hobby: embarrassing myself in front of hundreds of people. The worship minister at our church claims that I have talent in public speaking and begged me to again do the "welcome/here's what's happening today and this week" spiel at the beginning of the services. I don't think I do a good job, but I do think it's kinda fun. What is wrong with me?!

(don't answer that)

Right now: We have water running through most of our basement at this point and we're getting ready to go down and move stuff AGAIN. Dumb basement.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Time for next update..... I am bored at work.