Thursday, December 08, 2011

Courtesy... dying art?

I need someone to explain something to me.

This week we listed our old TV and receiver/surround sound on Craigslist.

I had a handful of people who called and wanted to come see the items. I spent a good five minutes on the phone with these people, as they seemed serious and wanted directions to our house. We set up a time and that time came.... that time passed... nobody showed up. This happened probably five times. Yesterday, a guy called and again, he asked questions, told me about how he had to pick up his nephew after school to come help him load the TV, and that he would be there at 3:30. At 3:00 HE called ME to confirm my address and said he would be there "shortly". At 3:15 I dropped what I was doing at work, went home and waited for him to come pick up the TV. Giving him the benefit of the doubt, I assumed he got stuck in traffic and waited until 4:10. He didn't show up. I called twice; no answer. I texted; no answer. RUDE, rude, rude.

(Thanks to Rich who actually showed up last night and took the monstrous TV with console. He complained about how heavy it was, cussed and smoked the entire time but THANK GOODNESS that thing is out of our living room!)

So I ask, what compels someone to purposefully waste someone's time like that? Is it REALLY that hard to send a quick call or text saying that you can't make it after all? And it's not just one or two people -- Google "Craigslist no-shows" and see that this happens everywhere!

WHY?! What is wrong with people?

No comments: