Approximately 98% of everything I cook can be described with words such as "disgusting", "mysterious" or "on fire". It's a fact. So when tonight's dinner was a disaster, no one was surprised.
It started with some steak that Jonathan got at the grocery store on his way home, which I had requested since we hadn't grilled since last year. When he got home, not only was I surprised to see the cheap, marbly stuff, but when he pulled apart the two pieces of steak it was brown underneath instead of pink. Not the most appetizing-looking piece of meat. However, we decided to go with it and determined that cooking it fully would get rid of any nastiness. At this point Jonathan put the steak on a Corelle plate and started trimming the fat off the edges. About five minutes into the dissection, his fork lost traction and the plate of meat went flying off the counter. The end result was many chards of glass on the floor and stuck to the meat. Fighting off many less than pleasant words that were starting to spill out of his mouth, Jonathan pulled the plate chunks out of the meat and dumped some marinade on it -- marinade that would soak into the meat during the 15 seconds it takes to get from the counter to the patio.
Meanwhile, I decided to make some green beans. These were haricot vert that are supposed to be boiled for a short amount of time, placed in an ice bath and then sauteed. I did this a week ago and they turned out well. However, tonight I just wasn't feeling it. I threw them in a pan of boiling water for about 25 minutes and hoped for the best. Hoping only gets you so far, and it turned out that the green beans were much less than delicious.
However, the steak didn't turn out too badly. We may or may not have ingested tiny plate chunks that are currently ripping through our digestive system.
Afterward, I decided I would make some Jell-o chocolate pudding, just like ol' dad did in the olden days (i.e. 80s and 90s). It went well for the first six minutes, then... well, this:
So... obviously the night was a success.
No comments:
Post a Comment