Thursday, January 19, 2012

This week we have been on a hunt for an outlet for Owen's abundant energy.

On Tuesday we tried karate at martial arts place #1, as described on the previous post. This did not go well.

On Wednesday we tried karate at martial arts place #2. This went ten times worse. The place was tiny, we were the only, um, people of our color, and the instructor didn't even attempt to engage Owen. I got Owen to go out on the floor once but I had to go with him, and even then he did not follow directions. The rest of the time Owen sobbed uncontrollably, screamed and flailed himself on the floor. We were sitting in the front row, and every time I looked back at the other parents they most definitely were NOT watching their kids -- they were giving me some of the nastiest looks I've ever seen. It was a unique mixture of annoyance and disbelief that a child could behave in that manner. We walked out and will never go back.

Today we tried gymnastics at a gym literally about five blocks away. BINGO!! He loved every second of it! He followed directions (for the most part), interacted well with other kids he didn't know and had the time of his life.

2 comments:

Ashley said...

yay owennn!

Becca Cannon said...

Both of mine LOVE gymnastics as well!! I'm so glad you found an outlet for Owen!