Saturday, April 22, 2006

I am a quarter of a century old, people

Do you think I look 14 years old??

I sure don't. Then why do people get confused on this matter? When we first started going to the church, someone asked us if we were in the youth group. I figured it was just a matter of one person being confused and went on with my life.

Now we're ADULT leaders in the jr. high youth group, and I'm really not sure this is going to work out if people don't think we're ADULTS. Last night, they had a big youth event at the church with inflatable stuff, live music, etc. and we spent most of the evening walking around and seeing who needed help. After a couple of hours, everyone was supposed to go inside for DJing and breakdancing and stuff, so people were shuffling into the sanctuary. Jonathan and I just kind of hung out against the hallway wall, waiting to see if there was anything else we could do. We started to walk toward the door to the sanctuary, paused, and this guy, probably in his 40s, pointed to the door and said something really sarcastic like, "The door's over there." After I gave him a confused look, he physically (but gently) SHOVED ME through the door. I was so angry that I flashed him one of my evil looks, turned around, and went right back to standing against the wall, just daring him to tell me I couldn't stand there. I'm so rebellious I kill myself. After the rage died down a little, I went back inside and told another leader friend about the incident, and what did he do? He went and told the guy that I wasn't in the youth group and they stood there laughing for a few minutes. How embarrassing.

On our way out, we also got stopped by a lady who wasn't letting kids leave. Luckily, one of the youth ministers we knew was there and after I talked to him for awhile, we got to leave.

Yes, I should be happy that people think I look young, blah, blah blah. Whatever. Maybe in a few years I'll appreciate that. But how are these 14-year olds going to look up to or respect someone who they think is their age??

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looking young isn't so bad, what about all those discounted meals our wonderful father got because the restaurants thought you were 12 instead of 20? -alc

Anonymous said...

Is it weird that you just have your two younger sisters leaving you comments? You know you COULD just call us every blue moon and tell us this stuff. Suggestion?

-youngest

KG said...

works both ways, ya know.