Today marked day one of our quest for decent childcare.
I was completely prepared, with printouts of the classfied ads I had found advertising childcare in our area, names and directions; as well as a page full of questions to ask inside a very professional-looking portfolio folder. However, I was not prepared for the utter disgustingness of the house we checked out this evening.
While we were waiting for the lady to answer the door, I noticed that on the porch a foot from where I was standing sat a diaper pail. I thought that was odd, but really it was just a sign of the weirdness that was to come. She led us though the small living room that you could barely walk through for all the junk piled up. She said her 19-year-old son had just moved back in, but you could tell that the place was junky before this occurred. We ended up in the back family room where we sat down on a dirty couch. Looking around, there was filthy, stained furniture and a "dining room", which was just a gated-off area for more junk, both on the floor and lining shelves on the wall. It wasn't until ten minutes into our discussion that I noticed the kitchen area was right in front of where we were sitting. I literally couldn't see the kitchen for all the junk piled on the counters. The lady mentioned something about how they play on the deck a lot, so we stood up and looked around -- right into the face of an enormous german shepherd eyeing us from the other side of the french doors. She claimed that the dog "thinks he's a poodle" and lets the kids do anything they want to him, but I don't care what she says. I know of a poodle who would eat babies if she could, so her explanation didn't calm my fears.
Needless to say, I did not even crack my folder to make any notes. Owen will not be going here. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment