Monday, July 10, 2006

I may hate my job, but I'm glad I don't work at FedEx/Kinko's. I'm sure they attract the same sort of graphically-challenged people that my old place of work did in S'field. I really don't intend to be mean, because I know they can't help it. Just like I seriously can't help it that I can barely do third grade-level subtraction.

Today I ran to Kinko's and got a tiny glimpse into the life of a Kinko's employee. This guy who was behind me in line had a standard 8-1/2 x 11 sheet of paper with some text on it for some church function. He confidently told the employees that he wanted the final product to be on an 8-1/2 x 10 sheet of paper and needed "the font to fill the whole page." OK, first, mister, please tell me why on earth would you need this to be 8-1/2 x 10?! In what circumstance would this size paper be better than using the standard size?? Second, the FONT is not capable of "filling the page." You can make TYPE or TEXT fill the page, but the font itself isn't going to. Third, why are you asking them to ENLARGE the text onto a SMALLER-sized page?! Finally, after he was told it would cost more to cut the page size down, he decided to stick with the standard page size. So the patient employee went to a copier and tried to proportionately enlarge the whole sheet. Well, of course the original had more space on the left and right margins than it did on the top and bottom. So when that little bit of space wasn't filled, the guy was not satisfied. (Um, what do you expect? You provided it this way!) As I was leaving, he was mumbling about doing the job over on a PC. (Well, yeah!)

I'm totally overreacting just because it's fun, but I have such little patience with the littlest graphic-related things. Like the font Curlz... I think it comes with Microsoft Word and is the one where the ends of the letters curl up. It looks really cutesy and like it should be on a Barbie box or something. I recently had to do a job for a friend that was done mostly in Curlz, but I try not to think about it. Painful. Please, for the love of all that's sweet and holy, don't use Curlz.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting site. Useful information. Bookmarked.
»